Reappointed Real Madrid boss swerves definitive response on Gareth Bale’s first-team prospects
Zidane spoke to the media on his reappointment as Real Madrid manager after the club sacked Santiago Solari
Zinedine Zidane swerved talking about Gareth Bale’s chances of making it back into the Real Madrid fold in his first press conference since being reappointed as manager.
Frenchman Zidane, who left the Bernabeu last summer, signed a three-year contract with the club he also played for – replacing sacked interim boss Santiago Solari.
It’s an appointment which has the potential to lift spirits at Real as Zidane won the Champions League three times in his first spell as manager.
However, Bale may not be best pleased with Zidane coming back as the Welshman spent large parts of last season unsuccessfully trying to make it into the Los Blancos starting XI.
And when asked about the likes of Bale, as well as Isco and Marcelo, Zidane gave a pretty reserved response on the players’ first-team prospects.
He said: “I’m back with some players who have won a lot.
“I’m not going to get involved in what happened between them, I want to go back to them, work and do things well already this Saturday.”
Zidane takes over the Spanish giants, who are third in LaLiga and twelve points adrift of leaders Barcelona.
Meanwhile, they are out of this season’s Champions League after being humbled by Ajax in the second leg last week and also suffered a Copa del Rey exit at the hands of Barca.
And Zidane said he was not happy with what has happened at Real Madrid this season.
He added: “Last season we won the Champions League, but we had a tough time in the Copa and in LaLiga. I did a lot of things wrong.
“When you won a lot, it’s normal that you have a dip. I watched from outside but it’s as if I was still here.
“I am not happy with what has happened. We need to look at what is missing. First we need to look at what we need now, and after that, what we need for the coming seasons.”